Use Our Handy Checklist to Help Organize Your Move
Whether you’ve recently purchased your new dream home, or are making plans to buy soon, you’ll want to take a look at our comprehensive Timeline to Moving Checklist.
It’s full of items you’ll need to remember to take care of before, during and after your move.
ORGANIZE YOUR MOVE
Below is a sample of the types of “moving” reminders you’ll find on the checklist:
Before You Move:
- Two Months Prior
- Create an inventory of valuable items for insurance purposes.
- Make sure your new home construction is on schedule.
- Print your floorplan so you’ll know where everything goes in your new home.
- Six Weeks Prior
- Medical needs. Get your medical and dental records to give to future providers. Don’t forget the vet records for your pets.
- Research doctors, dentists, vets and pet sitters in your new neighborhood.
- Contact your insurance agent to research and establish an insurance policy for your new home.
- One Month Prior
- Check in with your lender to make sure your new mortgage is on track for the closing date.
- Cancel your lawn care and/or cleaning service.
- Return your library books and any other borrowed items.
- One Week Prior
- Dispose of all cleaning solutions or flammable liquids that can’t be moved.
- Confirm your moving company reservation and be ready with your payment and tip.
- Arrange for childcare and pet care for moving day.
- One Day Prior
- Drain your washing machine and hoses.
- Get some cash to have on hand.
- Make a post-move grocery list and locate the nearest store.
- Watch the movers to be sure everything is handled properly.
- Leave note with your new address for the new residents.
- Turn off all lights and lock all the windows and doors before you leave.
After You Move:
As soon as you have unpacked the basics, it will be time to locate some of the following services and companies:
- Window treatments. You may want to set up an appointment with a provider even before your move-in day.
- Community groups for you and your kids.
- Fitness center.
GET THE TIMELINE TO MOVING CHECKLIST NOW
View the complete Time to Moving checklist, or download a PDF version.
SHARE YOUR MOVING TIPS
If you’ve got a tip on how to organize, we’d love to hear it. Please leave a comment below!